Dear Elementary Parents,
Next week, April 11th to the 15th, will be Literacy Week! Throughout the week, the elementary classes will be doing activities to celebrate the joy of reading and writing. We will detail most of the activities in this email, but you will want to pay special attention to the highlighted activities at the bottom that we hope you can take part in.
- Drop Everything and Read (DEAR) - Students, teachers, aides, and support staff will all stop whatever they are doing to read a few times throughout the week.
- Drop Everything and Write (DEAW) - Students, teachers, aides, and support staff will all stop whatever they are doing to write a few times throughout the week.
- Door Decoration - Students will design the class door based on a specific book or author of their choice. All doors will be awarded a prize!
- Creative Writing - Students will see many mysterious posters and write a story to accompany one of them.
- Guess your Teacher's Book Bulletin Board - Each teacher will write a little something about their favorite book and students will guess whose is whose!
- Mystery Book Swap - Students can bring in any book they are willing to part with and we will wrap it up in brown paper. If students do not bring in a book, we will provide them with one. On the wrapping paper, students will write a general synopsis of the book but won't include the title! Each student will pick a mystery book to unwrap, enjoy, and keep.
- Literacy Stations - On Friday, classes will rotate through 5 stations doing grade-level, engaging activities about a book.
- Guest Readers - Throughout the week, parents are invited to come read to their child's class. Please write to your child's teacher to plan a time if you are interested.
- Breakfast Reading Café - Wednesday from 7:00am - 7:45am. Come read with your child! This event takes place upstairs in the library. Families are encouraged to bring a breakfast food or drink to share. It is also a Pajama Day, so students (and parents) are encouraged to wear their pajamas and cozy up with a good book.
- Character Parade - Friday at 7:30am. Students can dress as a favorite book character and will parade around the school. You are welcome to come and watch the parade and snap a few photos!
Please don't hesitate to email your child's classroom teachers if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you for breakfast on Wednesday and at the Parade on Friday.
Thanks and have a great week,
The Elementary Team